Another Departure…And More About Nate Morales

The following was sent to me by a reader:

At a family meeting this past Tuesday night, Mark Altrogge announced that Sovereign Grace Church of Indiana, PA is ending its partnership with Sovereign Grace Ministries.

The primary reason given is “an erosion of trust concerning the leadership of SGM.”

A more formal statement of reasons will be released later this week.

———————-

From another reader came this:

To give some very brief facts to start, the charges against Morales are centered around the sexual abuse of teenage boys, and Morales’ position as a teacher and Assistant Principal (although that position may have been “unofficial”) at MCCA. Also, during this time, Morales lived in the basement of a leader at PDI (now Soverign Grace Ministries), although later he moved into an apartment with another single guy.

The abuse started while he was a teacher at MCCA, and his targets were mostly students at the school. There were a few other boys in the “group of friends” that were not students, but the majority were, and the abuse happened on school grounds, at the PDI leader’s house, and at Morale’s  apartment (later). Please also note that MCCA was housed at Northgate Church.

The abuse started in 1989, at least for one of the victims, and continued until after that student had graduated and finally had the courage to remove himself from that circle (1991/1992-ish). Through the courage of one of the other victims, this particular victim was able to admit his abuse around 1994, and a Covenant Life Church pastor was informed at that time. The CLC  pastor counseled the typical “forgive him, don’t involve the police” routine. While they did not forbid going to the police, it was VERY frowned upon, and the victim gave up on pursuing it.  He was told later that Grant Layman “called” Morales to “check up on him” but was told nothing was amiss or admitted to.

Fast forward nearly 20 years, and due to the dedication of some select individuals (who must remain anonymous until the conclusion of the criminal trial), charges were filed, Morales was arrested, arraigned, extradited to MD, and is awaiting trial now.

It is reported that Morales’ abuse only targetted males, around the 1989-1993 timeframe, and targeted the 14-21 age frame. It is not believed that he molested any females (contrary to Brent’s accusation that Morales assaulted Paula Poe).

363 comments to Another Departure…And More About Nate Morales

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Show All

1. mary
    February 20th, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I for one don’t care about CJs mental health. I care more about his lack of character, hard heart, controlling leadership and how that has hurt God’s children. God’s sons and daughters…not church members. And the lack of response from men that are supposed to be today’s leaders. I marvel that they protect CJ and trample God’s very own children with their silence and inaction. All of that is crazy to me.

2. delta dagger
    February 20th, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Hi Mr Stretch,
    I think the lawsuit will wipe out 80% of SGM funds this will set SGM back 5-10 years. CJ and SGM are like a world war 2 battleship. The USS Mahaney is sinking at bow and stern at the same time.

3. Mr Stretch
    February 20th, 2013 at 7:21 pm

DD

I guess time will tell?

4. Discovery
    February 20th, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I have friends in sgm and they never mention anything about the Law suit in there Caregroups,whats up with that?

5. delta dagger
    February 20th, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Hi Discovery,
    I am a member of a sgm church here in Minnesota and your friends are right my small group leader has never said a word about the lawsuit. He gets his marching orders from the midwest dist leader Rick Gamache. I would bet the farm that Rick told all the small group leaders to sweep the subject under the rug. I also think Rick is out of the loop has far as the inside dealing of the lawsuit.

February 20th, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Some people have suggested that SGM’s liability insurance will cover at least some of the legals costs but who knows. I am sure there will be significant costs that the insurance won’t cover such as travel (from Louisville) to name just one. Also if there is an award (assuming the plaintiffs prevail) then the insurance will only pay up to the limits of their insurance and the rest will be born by SGM, CLC or even those being sued such as Mahaney from what I understand.

You don’t hear much from SGM that makes it sounds like they are overly concerned about this lawsuit. I wonder if it denial or they have coverage or what or maybe their counsel has told them the suit has no merit. It it is the latter then I think they have bad counsel.

7. exCCKer
    February 20th, 2013 at 11:32 pm

A local Knoxville paper has picked up an AP story about the SGM lawsuit and some former CCK members are posting comments about their experiences there.

8. delta dagger
    February 20th, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Hi Steve,
    I think you are wrong SGM and CJ will show up on court day with at least 2-3 power house attorneys. MS Burke will have her hands full.

9. Sam McGee
    February 20th, 2013 at 11:45 pm

#357

That is a new AP story hitting the wire tonight because SGM is scheduled to respond to the lawsuit by next Monday. Here is the key paragraph:

“We are saddened that lawyers are now, in essence, seeking to violate those rights by asking judges and juries, years after such pastoral assistance was sought, to dictate what sort of biblical counsel they think should have been provided,” the statement said. The church’s formal response to the lawsuit, due Monday, is expected to provide a window into its legal strategy.

10. Greg
    February 21st, 2013 at 12:49 am

In light of recent discussions of elitism among christian leaders and the resulting pathology, I found the following devotion by David Wilkerson to be very encouraging.

11. Jenn Grover
    February 21st, 2013 at 1:52 am

Jimmy 343:

Some well-qualified seasoned men seem to thinks so. I personally think CJ has sinned in some grievous ways. Has he repented? Is that adequate or has he crossed lines where he is no longer able to garner the respect needed to lead? Possibly. God knows.

First, most of those, if not all of the men endorsing CJ are basing their decisions on CJ’s confession, alone, not on other evidence, such as Brent’s docuements. SGM has never refuted any of Brent’s evidence.
    Second, SGM and some of these men have excused CJ and claimed he was above reproach because none of the accusations against CJ would have been made known had it not been for the Internet and “sinful communication.” Give me a break. The Bible does not have ambigious terms for “sinful communication.” It uses specific words like lying, gossip, and slander. Are we to believe that those things are unique to the Internet age and that leaders are exempt from Biblical requirements because of the Internet? Is there anything new under the sun? Do we not believe that God, in his sovereignty, has allowed public scandal to befall SGM?

No one, including CJ, SGM, or CJ’s pals has provided a defense against the accusations. The opposite is true – we have found the allegations of blackmail were true. SGM has attempted to discredit Brent and abuse plaintiffs, so eveidently slander is OK as long as they are the ones doing it.

12. Terry
    February 21st, 2013 at 6:27 am

@ Jenn Grover #361 – That’ll Preach Sister!

February 21st, 2013 at 7:00 am

Hi Jimmy. You said, “Has he repented? Is that adequate or has he crossed lines where he is no longer able to garner the respect needed to lead? Possibly. God knows.”

I am not clear whether you are saying that only God knows if CJ has repented or not. At least that is what I got on the first read of this statement but after reading it a few times I am not 100% sure so I’ll address this with the understanding that you may not have even asked this question!

How can one know if CJ repented? I’d say it is very simple. He will repent.

Repentance is not something one does simply between one’s self and God. I cannot sin against another human being and then just turn around and say, “Opps, sorry God” and leave it at that. If I am truly repentant, I will go to the person I sinned against.

Let’s say that Bobby lies to Charlie about Susan. Bobby needs to not only repent to God for this lie, but to both Charlie and probably to Susan. (Depending on if she knew about the lie or if it had any possible impact on her.) He can’t let a lie about Susan hang out there.

The same for CJ. For just one example, CJ has misled thousands of people regarding Larry Tomczak. IF CJ has repented, it is not enough for CJ to say he is sorry to God. He, also, needs to go to every person he misled regarding Larry and repent to lying to them. And, of course, he needs to repent to Larry. It is not enough to repent to Larry but to all of us whom he lied to. As I said, that is just one example.

I, along with thousands, received a letter regarding Larry. I would characterize it as misleading, making people question Larry’s pride, teachability and character for over a decade. CJ was responsible for this letter. Given Brent’s mad skills of recording, I have no doubt that SGM can recreate that list of letter recipients. Yet here it is, nearly 20 years later and I have yet to receive a letter repenting of the slanderous way CJ misrepresented Larry. I would be easy to track down, yet nothing. And I have yet to hear the testimony of one other person who CJ repented to for misleading us.

When will we know that CJ has repented? When he repents.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Show All