Court Dismisses Civil Lawsuit Due To Statute Of Limitations

The judge in the civil lawsuit ruled today that the statute of limitations had run out for the alleged victims, saying that the victims needed to sue within three years of turning 18.  That deadline had passed for most of the plaintiffs years ago.

Today’s ruling has nothing to do with whether the charges of the lawsuit itself were true or not.  It also does not affect whether or not criminal charges could be filed someday.

530 comments to Court Dismisses Civil Lawsuit Due To Statute Of Limitations

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Show All

1. Paul K.
    May 21st, 2013 at 4:13 am

Peggy and family,

Peggy I think you probably remember me. Please know I am grieved that you and your children weren’t cared for. I don’t think I could have expressed my disdain and disrespect for GARY RICUCCI and JOHN LOFTNESS in stronger terms – whatever they did that they shouldn’t have or didn’t do that they should is guilt on CHARLES JOSEPH MAHANEY two-fold or more because without him they would have engaged their brains – they’ve sacrificed their brains and consciences at his feet rather than at the feet of Jesus.

A world that can hold such men in esteem is a travesty I can not wrap my brain around. Why people would disengage their humanity to be in the “good graces” of such a man is utterly beyond my capacity to understand.
    When you support a man who does such things as Mahaney who always touted himself as a real man and boasted of his athletic prowess and so forth and turns out to be both a blatant hypocrite and a whiny, lying coward and you still follow and admire him, you have abetted a man who has made himself an enemy of God – what a horror.

I never could understand 1/3 of the angels following Satan with the consequence of becoming demons. I taught Mike Bradshaw at CLC – THE RENAISSANCE AND THE REFORMATION. Luther took a heroic stance against the Pope. Mike has trashed his own family FOR POPE MAHANEY. He was so into that class. When good men follow evil men they become evil. “Bad company corrupts good morals.” Mike I am ashamed of you.

Peggy and family I am deeply, deeply grieved that these men can actually look at themselves in the mirror after caring so much for Dave and won’t even answert twenty years worth of letters. I pity anyone willing to put themselves under Loftness or Ricucci
    (order takers of Mahaney).

I remember a wrap song by Curtis Allen in which he confesses he sometimes thinks he’d be a better God than God is. I can identify with those feelings. I would rush in and stop evil things. At one AM in the morning at Bob’s Big Boy, I saw five guys beating up one guy and immediately ran straight toward the six of them and launched my body airborn into the six of them and they all ran. Another time I got in the middle of 15 gang members encircling one person, I got in the middle of that and pushed the leader of the gang and before I knew it, four fists smashed into my head from behind. Fortunately it didn’t knock me down because then they would have been kicking my face and stomping on my head. The boy’s mom came rushing out with a phone calling the police and so I didn’t get hurt. Some may think I’m crazy with how I speak against Mahaney and his men without brains or consciences, but there is something in me – I didn’t make myself like this – that goes crazy when others are hurt. I loved Mahaney more than anyone – now I have more disdain for him than anyone. I guess I am either hot or cold (but my coldness is to wake them out of their stupor like Gandolf freed the King of Rohan from the lies of Wormtongue. Sadly, they all are now Wormtounges for following one, just as the angels who followed Satan are now demons who hate God.)

I wish I had been in john or gary’s position to help you but I would have been fired – and yes – I would rather have been fired than live with myself if I treated you as they did. Gary must hate himself but john admires himself – he always will.)

2. Mary
    May 21st, 2013 at 5:34 am

I saw a picture today with the caption, “Lord, cleanse me of anything that breaks your heart.” I think all the spiritual abuse of SGM has broken God’s heart. This disunity has broken God’s heart. In the book of Revelation God addresses churches and pastors. I just do not think that the phrase this didn’t happen on Josh’s watch is acceptable. Often God called nations to repent. God can also call churches to repent. CJ never will – so who will? Even if you are not convinced all the sexual abuse happened – we know for sure that some of it did. We know the pastors responded in a way that caused further harm to the victims. We know that leadership has controlled and treated people with a lording hardball attitude that has wounded some of your brothers and sisters. All the men under CJ allowed the abuse. So, not on my watch just doesn’t sit well with me. I would have more respect for Josh and CLC if they issued a statement that they misused their leadership, shunned people unnecessarily, controlled private situations, harmed families with their poor counsel, and deeply wounded those that were sexually abused. Doing nothing = no respect. Be men. Be strong. Show courage. You want mercy but didn’t give mercy. You want love but you were unloving. You want grace but you shunned. You want peace but you are not a peacemaker. Call a fast. Fall on your faces. Ask God what CLC can do as a whole to repent. Much abuse happened from CJ, pastors, CGL, and blind followers…if CLC wants to restore honor – be honorable. Call a fast. Seek God. Ask what you can do to show repentance. Doing nothing is not honorable.

3. Paul K.
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:09 am

If u feel this way then please pray for Josh, have compassion on my friend, pray for all the pastors hearts to be moved to see you as us. Now that Josh has revealed what he has, it is a time to hope. Please don’t make it appear that no matter what he does now u will continually find something else wrong w him. Remember this : “A soft word breaks the bone.” Don’t kick a man when he’s down. If u are hostile toward him how will he move toward you? He’s got much work to do and three beautiful young children. If u want unity then please act in a manner that invites unity. If u don’t respect anything he’s done but keep finding fault how does that give him faith that u will receive him or that it would be worth the effort. Remember – most here are probably older than him. I’m sorry if it makes no sense – I just want what u want. Unity w SGM is not possible because they refused it. Please have a spirit that helps CLC pastors to believe u’d even want reconciliation. We’ve all sinned but I’m here precisely because to me u are not THEM u are US to me and I’ve told my pastor that. Josh knows how I feel.

4. old timer
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:28 am

Mary, I am going to flip it around. We wanted a man to rule over us…just like when they wanted a king in Israel….and they got Saul. It ‘s the same principle-God was grieved because those people wanted a king instead of HIM. Well, same thing just a few years difference. There is nothing new under the sun.

All of the responsibility for this mess can not be placed upon the leaders of sgm/pdi.
    Much can- but not all- because leaders are held accountable more that the regular folks. We have to accept some of that responsibility and blame for being so darn gullible, naïve and wanting a spiritual leader who told us what to do and think. And then ignoring the Holy Spirit within us many times -to please men and follow the leader.

The wonderful thing with being involved with this particular group of men has shown many people that it’s not the right thing to do. Thank You Jesus.

When you hear and follow the Holy Spirit, He will led you where you should go. We have no need for man to teach us because we have the Spirit of God.

1 John 2:27

But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Rise up you Champions of God. Seek the Lord. Follow the Holy Spirit. Purify our hearts and let us be as pure gold in Your Sight.

5. new
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:34 am

at 26:00 – post hearing interview with Attorney Bill ONeil

6. Mary
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:47 am

Old Timer – agreed. Except for me there are a couple of differences. I was saved in a church prior to SGM that was very very heavy into Watchmen Nee’s Spiritual Authority book. Being newly saved I easily agreed with their twisting of scripture. So, I came in with that foundation. I never wanted a king. I thought this was what God wanted of me. I do think if you are going to call yourself a leader and teacher you have a greater measure of accountability – hence as leaders they need to repent for bad leadership. But, trust me. I know better now :o)

7. Mary
    May 21st, 2013 at 8:03 am

Paul K. Rest assured that it would give me great delight to see CLC restored to a place of good reputation but that cannot happen without repentance. Some of here were treated with much harsher words and judgment from CLC; with no mercy; and were kicked to the curb when our hearts were broken in pieces. So, I just do not have a soft answer for wolves that devoured myself and others. I would need to see that they really are sheep and not wolves. Repentance would be necessary. Josh leads CLC – he can repent on behalf of the church he leads. Otherwise, I just cannot trust that people are not still being harmed. CLC has a past that did not disappear with CJ. A good reputation cannot be restored by asking people to be silent instead of asking your leaders for repentance. It is up to Josh to restore the church’s reputation.

8. Jenn Grover
    May 21st, 2013 at 8:07 am

person’s belief system, and even if we think that such a statement would be wrong, it would fit, is not considered a delusion. If she had underwent a schizophrenic break she would be having a hard time holding anything together and people involved in her day to day life would see the problems. I used to work with mentally ill adults on a day to day basis, many of which were schizophrenics and people with delusional disorder and I have serious concerns about the way the Philthadelphia pastors are staging this.

At some point I have to wonder about the CovFrl congregation. How many people have to disappear from your midst under strange circumstances before you insist on the truth? And, what would happen if you did insist on the truth? I gave heard enough horror stories from CovFel to believe it should also close its doors. There is a spirit of fear and intimidation there that is not of God.

9. Dr. Pepper
    May 21st, 2013 at 8:22 am

May 21st, 2013 at 8:48 am

Exclcer’sMom said (in response to asking what DA did if any to to reconcile with his former family):

Steve240, DA DID end up giving considerable child support AFTER the court forced him to. He tried every excuse NOT to, of course,

No, he has NEVER REALLY done much to show any of my children or myself any level of repentance. I dont look for it, and neither do my children. His heart and the state of his soul is between him and God, for only God knows a man’s heart.

Thanks for answering this question. This is quite sad. This is something that CLC Leaders allowed DA to get remarried but didn’t require Dave to do any type of reconciliation with his past family and ex-wife. Sad that Gary Ricucci would call Dave his “hero.”

Ronin said earlier:

D.A. did do what he’s being accused of, but he already went to jail for that; he has served his sentence and paid his penalty to society and the accuser. Is God not able to reconcile a man? Is the Church not able to forgive a man? What more must D.A. do?

Ronin (if you are still reading) maybe this is “what more” that DA should do. Isn’t this basic “peacemaking” christianity? Why did DA and CLC Leaders ignore something as basic as this?

One can’t take back or undo what he did in the past but to show remorse and try and do some reconciliation not to mention to help pay for some of the costs of counseling the daughter he molested is what DA should do.

11. Mary
    May 21st, 2013 at 8:49 am

I am wondering what other people would need to see/hear/receive from their church in order to for its reputation restored. And, can if it even be restored in your eyes or is it too far gone? I think for me I couldn’t trust any church that remains part of SGM. And, for those that have left I would need to hear genuine repentance and commitment to change.

May 21st, 2013 at 8:57 am

grieving, thank you. your words were kind and they moved me.

I wish every child or adult suffering today could know that Jesus’ arms are aching to hold them and comfort them. but normally we can’t feel that until we feel it from another human being. (We are flesh after all.) I pray for the people who don’t get to feel the love and compassion from another person. I can’t imagine a life totally devoid of love and hope I never have to.

if I could ask for something, please? today and over the next few days my dear little relative who was sexually abused by an older relative is going to have to face some difficult times. I can’t share what right now, but she and her family are going to be going through some tough times in relation to what her abuser did to her. if this crosses anyone’s mind over the next few days, would you please pray for her and her family? we all need god’s wisdom and amazing grace right now. (And when I say amazing grace, I mean amazing GOBS of grace is in demand.)

Thank you, again, Grieving. Your words were needed.

Stunned

13. Moved On
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:10 am

Lee @ 479

I agree with your comments about JV. If it true about her mental health, which I highly doubt, CFC pastors and members should be surrounding her and her family with so much love, care and compassion and her husband should not have to worry about having to find and start a new job.

I did hear that they were moving to Seattle so BV can work with his family business.

14. Pffft
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:21 am

The SGM Board’s letter is serving notice that the stream of spin, which has been there from their very inception, ain’t stoppin’.
    Folks, identifying these things is becoming like child’s play and a bit mesmerizing, unnervingly so.
    Gotta go.

15. keira
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:23 am

Jared claimed she gave the dates of His return. She has said ” We are in the end times” whats wrong with that . We are, she has never said she knows when. They put words in her mouth

16. keira
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:26 am

Jill has only claimed we ae in the end times. Her words were twisted to appear nuts.. SGM never preaches on end times. weird God will vindicate her. ITs already begun, trust me

17. Mary
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:36 am

Keira…many believers feel this is the end times. What they have done to this poor woman is unconscionable. My heart goes out to her.

18. grieving
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:38 am

Stunned #512:

You’re most welcome. As a survivor of sexual abuse, I wish I’d had more safe people and places to go to as a child and adolescent. I wish more parents, more caretakers and more professionals knew how to ask the right questions and pay attention to red flags. I wish more people understood healthy boundaries and tried to foster those boundaries in their children. Children, I think, intrinsically know when something is wrong but they don’t have the language to speak about it. I wish we, as a society, would work harder to give them that language. But it means that we have to know it, too.

Your sweet relative is in my thoughts and prayers, as are all of these children whose lives have been devastated by child abuse.

19. Diego
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:40 am

My guess on Christ’s return is 2018. 70 years after Israel re established. Just a hunch. We all think about these things. We all see the evil in this world and cry out for Christ’s return. I remember Bill Patton sharing that in his fellowship in college, they didn’t want to go out and find jobs because they were confident in the Lord’s return was imminent. It’s ok to be a fool for Christ, but foolish to only trust the wisdom of man. And the wisdom of man is the only thing that SGM is trusting.

20. Allison
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:41 am

My story and an appeal:

I spent most of my Christian life in a SGM church. Loved every minute of it. Then my family moved out of the country and for the first time I experienced a different Christian culture. At first, I thought the differences I was seeing was simply just that – the result of a different culture. I still held on tight to my SGM doctrine, truly believing it was “sound doctrine” (i.e. – the right way, and ONLY way).

Over time, God began to show me differently. God needed to remove me before I could see clearly. It took YEARS for me to see. I was like a ball of string that was tied up in knots. God took His time and slowly unraveled me. Some knots were so tight they had to be cut out. Others simply needed to be smoothed out, because not everything I had learned in SGM needed to be discarded entirely.

God did all of that without me knowing that websites like this existed. I thought I was just growing and maturing as a believer. I still thought the differences in my church life was a result of geographical culture.

Then I began reading here and realized that it was not location – it was SGM’s model of church life. I read the stories and saw that it wasn’t “just me.” I was truly helped by this site and thank God for it and for those who have shared their experiences here.

Now for my appeal:

The more I read the comments here the more I realize that people come here for very different reasons. Some have been using this site as a support group to share their pain. Those comments aren’t very pretty. If I went to an actual support group as an observer, I would never expect those who share in their group to make sure their words came across neat and orderly and without offense. That context is a place where raw emotions are shared, but hopefully with the end result of working towards healing.

Normally, others are not observing someone else’s support group. Which is why I think some of the comments are such an offense to others and labeled and slander and gossip. They see the words on the page without knowing the person behind the words and why they are writing them.

But not everyone who reads here are wanting or needing to share in that way. Some are just looking for information. Reading here in the past, I have been helped by stories that were shared that were specific to a person’s SGM teaching/experience and how that affected them. But I’m finding that those stories are getting harder to find on this site.

My heart is that those who need to express themselves here find freedom to do so. But my heart is also for those who want to glean information (in order to learn) to be able to do so without also needing to participate in the support group forum. They should also find the freedom to do so. (Please do not hear a dismissal of your pain – or of you.)

Some need a support group for the rest of their lives. Others only for a short time. Some would be harmed if they went back into a support group they have just come out of. We all need to respect where God has each one of us.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that I personally would love to have an additional place to read that would be more stories and factual information rather than emotional expressions. Maybe a sister site (NOT a replacement site). One that could have headings where people could share their stories under that category. Like parenting/discipline, schooling choices, single life, treatment of women, etc.

The stories like these do exist on Survivors, but they get buried in a sea of unrelated comments and are not easily searchable. I would create such a site myself but I barely know how to turn on my computer, let alone take on something like that. I decided to put it out there incase another has the ability and desire to do so. Or maybe there can be a way to search for that on this site? Again, I have no idea what that entails, only what has been on my heart.

My ultimate desire is for the stories to be shared – and to be heard! But I am afraid that others are turning away from this site because the emotions are overwhelming and are drowning out the actual stories.

If you read this far, thank you for giving me my voice today. Each person who reads and writes here is in a very different place, and I want to respect each one where they are and what they need out of a site like this. Thankfully God has promised to complete the good work He has begun in each one of us. I pray God’s peace that passes all understanding be one each and every one of us today. Thank you for letting me share what was on my heart.

May 21st, 2013 at 9:44 am

Jenn said, “New here & Stunned: Even if she did say she knew when Christ was returning that does not make her mentally ill. A belief that falls within the realm of possibility of a
    person’s belief system, and even if we think that such a statement would be wrong, it would fit, is not considered a delusion.”

100% agreed. Good thinking.

22. annie
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:52 am

Mary, for me, caring for the abused and the abusers isn’t mutually exclusive (and I don’t judge you if you differ). I happen to agree that many of the leaders can act like wolves. When I was stuck in SGM and crying out for release I had a vision that I would be delivered from the wolf’s mouth, and then I was! And eventually my older children were too! I praise God! But I still pray for that “wolf.” Even after that vision, I never actually felt free to consider him a true wolf/Pharisee/false believer, but only that in my case (and my church’s) he was ACTING like one (sorry I can’t italicize). I still love him and cry for him. At the same time, I think of all the lives he’s harmed, and pray for restoration for all of us. I imagine how wonderful it will be when we’re all reconciled (either here or in Heaven). I think of that Scripture in Matthew 13 that says:

“24 Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25 But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. 26 When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.
    27 “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’
    28 “‘An enemy did this,’ he replied.
    “The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’
    29 “‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.’”

Anyway, I’m very sorry for what must’ve happened to you in your SGM church. My reading and participation here is pretty sporadic, so if you’ve posted your story somewhere, I’ll try to find it. Peace.

23. Pam Palmer
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:53 am

Pffft#488 said to Just Sayin:

A complaint does not purport to contain all information known to the plaintiff, does not purport to prove the claim, and does not purport to corroborate the claim. It is not presented as evidence.
    The bulk of the information comes out in the discovery phase, which had not been reached before the dismissal.

Also, in relation to people questioning the allegations and/or trying to wrap your head around it all, I think that it is important to remember that we (everyone who ever invested their lives in SGM or is close to someone who did) is grieving. We are all part of this sordid saga, we didn’t choose to be, but we are — and unfortunately all the pieces won’t be put together completely or be proven publicly in the legal system for a while — that’s the reality of the best legal system in an imperfect world. And yes, it is messy and sad and tragic. Peggy’s quote this morning exemplifies for me, in part, why this conspiracy and cover-up of child sex abuse, as alleged in our Second Amended Complaint, needs to be stopped:

…but there is a woman, who was once a young innocent girl, who still struggles with life and Faith and sanity due to his crimes…

May 21st, 2013 at 9:55 am

Allison, thank you for sharing. Jim, who commented earlier on this thread, started a site very much like that one you described. You can find it at sgmrefuge.com It is no longer a functional site in that you can’t post anymore but you can at least read what has been put on in the past. Jim served God’s community for many years with this. But he had reasons which made him decide to stop running it. Jim, I can’t remember why. Do you have time to explain it here, again?

Stunned

25. annie
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:56 am

Also, that Scripture I referred to is really what a lot of this is about for some of us. The leadership act like they can tell who’s a weed or not, and they try to rip them out, in ways ranging from subtle innuendo to outright excommunication. They’ve caused so much harm. But I don’t want to turn around and do the same thing to them.

26. grieving
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:57 am

Clarifying one of my thought from #518:

“I wish more people understood healthy boundaries and tried to foster those boundaries in their children.” I re-read this and worried that I communicated something I didn’t mean to communicate. Children have a RIGHT to set their own boundaries with children and adults and I wish we would reinforce this more. Making healthy boundaries a regular part of family/societal/religious discussion is one more way to create a safe space for children to speak.

27. Jenn Grover
    May 21st, 2013 at 10:00 am

If SGM wants to clear the names of the accused, it can only be done via a transparent investigation with someone viewed as impartial. I would suggest they bring Boz Tchividjian’s organization in to do this investigation. I would believe there is some hope for SGM if they would, because he will not enter into these ridiculous agreements that silence him or his organization.

Mark Prater has begun the “we need to communicate better” tour. It began in Pittsburgh last Sunday. Mark, it isn’t that SGM needs to communicate better, it is that you need to repent and commit to transparency. But, Mark does not believe in transparency. He told me that he does believe that there are things that, “wouldn’t serve people” to know and that God has gifted pastors uniquely to handle information that members can’t (my paraphrase, but definitely spirit and intent)

so, when Mark comes peddling his message to your church, remember that communicating better, just means making you feel heard and you can only expect token gestures that make you feel like they are responding to you, there will be nothing substantive. Ask any of the churches Mark oversaw how many questions he actually answered for them over the last 2 years, you will find he spent hours “listening” and told them how helpful” their questions and comments were but so little to no action.

Believe me, I would love to be wrong. I don’t hate Mark or have it out for him, but I do know him and have watched him operate, and have lived in the wake of the legalistic, authoritarian culture he created. His emotionally charged appeals have become transparent to those who know him.

28. annie
    May 21st, 2013 at 10:04 am

Kiera #515, that’s what I had a hunch about. It’s so predictable, sick and twisted. Leaders, please see how far you have fallen. Christianity 101: Be honest.

29. Yellow is a Happy Color
    May 21st, 2013 at 10:05 am

How absurd for the pastors to publically discuss a member’s private (and non-sin-related) issues!

Do the pastors do the same thing with a pastor’s wife’s latest pap smear results? Do they call a meeting to discuss a member’s enlarged prostate?

It is none of their business, really. The pastors there bust be so easily threatened that they needed to accuse this lady in public, it appears.

SGM/CLC tried to reinvent ‘church’ and we can all see how well they’ve done. Bravo, CJ.

Nickname in #496——Excellent post. I’d want to see exactly what you said in your post. If DA is truly sorry, then he should truly show it to the victim and her family, on terms that are meaningful to them. Likewise for SGM/CLC and all the other victims. Until there is restitution, it’s not real repentance.

The fact that Ronin talked about DA’s step daughter as merely his “accuser” and not simply the “victim”, tells me how cold-hearted Covenant Life Church really is.

30. mary