C.J. Mahaney Says He Will Not Be Participating In 2014 T4G Conference

C.J. Mahaney announced today that he will not be participating in the 2014 T4G conference.  Here is his statement:

After much prayer, reflection and counsel I have decided to withdraw from participation in the 2014 Together for the Gospel conference. My reason for doing so is simple: I love these men and this conference and I desire to do all I possibly can to serve the ongoing fruitfulness of T4G.

Unfortunately, the civil lawsuit filed against Sovereign Grace Ministries, two former SGM churches and pastors (including myself), continues to generate the type of attention that could subject my friends to unfair and unwarranted criticism. Though dismissed in May (and now on appeal), the lawsuit could prove a distraction from the purpose of this important conference. My withdrawal is not intended to communicate anything about the merits of the suit. My decision simply reflects the reality that my participation could create a hindrance to this conference and its distinct purpose of serving so many pastors. My strong desire is to make sure this doesn’t happen. I believe the most effective way I can serve my friends who have supported me, and continue to support me, is by not participating in the 2014 conference.

My enthusiasm for this conference is undiminished and I believe it will continue to be a powerful context for encouraging and equipping pastors in their efforts to serve their churches and proclaim the gospel. I am immensely grateful for the undeserved privilege to have been involved in previous conferences, and, most importantly, my ongoing friendship with these men I love and respect.

You can read the statement on the T4G website here.

1,467 comments to C.J. Mahaney Says He Will Not Be Participating In 2014 T4G Conference

Pages: « 120 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] Show All

1. Diego
    August 16th, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Marge: The Bible is not a history book of traditions and rules, but tells of a promise and points to two events. The Cross and the Second Coming. All history filters through these two events. We are wise to seek Jesus in the Word as He is the Word became flesh. Too many in history has developed tradition and wrote books/commentary. We turn to “other books” to understand rather than crying out for understanding as we read His Word. He is faithful to reveal to those who seek Him. Those who seek for their own glory, He won’t reveal so much…

2. formersgmer
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Diego:

One point to remember as we read scripture is that many of the books especially the Pauline espistles were written to real people dealing with real issues and in order to understand what Paul meant in his leaders we need to undetstand something about the receipients of those letter and the context in which they lived. Also, we need to remember that the Bible was written in languages other than English and this is why we need to know something about Greek and Hebrew to understand what the author really intended to say. Of course we cannot all be fluent in Greek and Hebrews but pastors who are diligent in their study and sermon preparation will have underatanding of these languages and will help their congregations get the correct sense of a particular text. However, as lay people, this is why we should have commentaries to help us undestand scripture in our own bible study. Of course not all commentaries are good but the ones which have stood the test of time such as Matthew Hentry’s commentaries can be trusted.

3. formersgmer
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:10 pm

should be Matthew Henry

4. formersgmer
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:16 pm

KIS:

Regarding your post from a few days ago, I am not I would compare Mahaney to Mussolini. It seems a bit over the top. Maheney may have issues with pride and a large ego but he is not a faschist but I do understood your point in general.

Regarding the various issues you listed as having been taught upon by Mahaney and others, I do think it is good and proper for pastors to teach on those topics because they are all addressed in scripture and the problems with SGM were not that they preached on those topics but as you say did they do out of laugh for their congregations and to that point your comment is in line with point four in the link I posted a few days ago from the Gospel Coalition.

5. Diego
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:34 pm

formersgmer: I guess that is why some have such a passionate argument for priests and pastors and apostles leading us ignorant little sheep. We need men rather than the Holy Spirit telling us what the Bible says said a spirit filled Christian never.

6. Jenn Grover
    August 16th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Nemo, Ia m sorry if I thought you were rude – quite the opposite, I just believe you are fairly convinced, which I don’t have a problem with. I simply don’t have the time and energy to devote, nor am I convinced this is the time and place, to engaging in a lengthy debate on apostles. I am simply tired of SGM and its troubles (which, many will say, “Hallelujah!” to) and don’t want to invest a lot of time into a debate for the sake of debate.

I think we have to agree to disagree. I found holes in your case, but like I said, not interested in a full on debate.

I have no ill feelings towards you, whatsoever, and hope you have none towards me.

7. Marge Sweigart
    August 16th, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Paul K. Thanks for taking the time to respond even though you didn’t answer my questions. It seems to me that we are operating from very different assumptions about what the Bible is, so any further discussion would probably be fruitless, especially in comments on a blog rather than face to face. Same to you, Diego. Nice try, but I see it very differently.

August 16th, 2013 at 6:35 pm

KIS 1428…your post was beautiful. Thanks. And I found the reference to the Italian trains to be hilarious.

Marge:

Marge Sweigart
    August 16th, 2013 at 7:03 am
    Paul K. (#1442) – Do you really consider the Bible to be an instruction manual? Why do you think that we must pattern ourselves after what people did 2000 years ago? Is there any kind of directive from God in the Bible that says that we must do what they did? Is it possible that the Bible is a record of what people thought and did back then and was never intended to be an instruction manual for all people of all future generations to try to imitate? <

marge- your post surprises me. The New Testament is in great part a record of what God did, and what the Holy Spirit inspired men to do.

God told Paul that he was going to be an apostle to the gentiles. The HS told elders to set apart Paul and Barnabas to their missionary work. God directed Paul to locations (Macedonia, Jerusalem); it wasn't his mind just deciding all the time. We see a powerful work of the Holy Spirit in apostles. Are you saying today can be different? No holy spirit guidance? Just meet together and make a plan w/o prayer and guidance from the Lord?

"What people did 2000 years ago"? Isn't Acts a record of what God did? If the Holy Spirit moving in power 2000 years ago led to certain manifestations- desire to be saved, conviction, repentance, joy, much prayer, generous sharing, miracles of healing, the charismatic gifts, even more prayer, gathering together, etc etc etc- do we have the right to say that when the Holy Spirit moves now, it will look any different?

This happened in Toronto- all of a sudden "the Spirit" was making people do things that were downright creepy and wierd, such that John Wimber finally said some of the manifestations were demonic, and had to excommunicate them when they insisted on all this "new" activity of the Holy Spirit. Do we have the right to say that today the Holy Spirit is going to look different than it did 2000 years ago?

Can we say that apostolic ministry is going to look different today- assuming we still have them in a non canonical way? When God by his Holy Spirit calls somebody to be an apostle today, why would we think it would look different than the NT 2000 years ago? I mean, it sure looks the same from stories we hear out of the third world, with massive conversions and amazing miracles happening. So why would SGM or anybody else expect it to be different?

There are some obvious changes- cell phones, microphones, airplanes instead of boats. But the Holy Spirit has not changed. The basics have not changed.

What "people thought back then"? Truth has not change one bit in 2000 years.

Am I misunderstanding you?

9. Paul K.
    August 17th, 2013 at 9:33 am

Marge,

I think perhaps my use of the word “manual” is too constricting. However, the word “pattern” is, has authority which allows for flexibility in specific application to specific churches – manual sounds like something for a car.

However, what is the Bible to you? I don’t think a long explanation necessary.

Lurking I like “Yep!” – it’s even shorting than “Amen!”

BTW – I’m glad this site doesn’t have a “like” button – I’ve been on forums that seem like popularity contests. Have u ever impressed yourself w something u “did?” Don’t lie! In 1447 I liked the last three words – but w “like” buttons one might be tempted to write things to see how many likes u might get. What deserves a “like” in someone’s opinion is more meaningful in an actual post IMO.

Forgive an irrelevant comment – I noticed someone wishing we had a “like” button and saw it become a clique thing elsewhere. “Yep” is a good “like” button IMO.

August 17th, 2013 at 10:59 am

Yep

;)

11. NarrowistheWay
    August 17th, 2013 at 11:19 am

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Yep! Yep!!

12. It's just the beginning
    August 17th, 2013 at 11:29 am

Paul, being in SGM all these years, you should know that “IMO” is not ‘proper’ .. I believe you meant to say IMHO. ;)

13. Paul K.
    August 17th, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Stunned – u crack me up (Yep:) – being funny, insightful and compassionate : it’s a wonderful combination of qualities (Yep!) The (!) means double “Yep.”

A quality I wish I had was “self-awareness.” I was (playfully) proud to outdo my pastors in taking a longer sabbatical than they. U may remember me saying “This will feel like a fast – not a sabbatical.” That was self-awareness, but the notion I could fast for 4 straight months from SGS was like a
    barnswallow saying, “I won’t fly for 4 months” or a cricket named Chevon saying “I won’t cricket-song for four months.” (A TRUE-THAT lack of self-awareness!)

There are those psycho-babblers who have everyone reduced to manageable labels who would call me an “addict” while I call them “ostriches.” We should be ashamed of calling each other such nasty names!

Oh we’ll, Someone we all admire called some guys “white washed tombs full of dead men’s bones” – (can u believe it!) – so maybe He’ll forgive us.

“It’s just the beginning,” IMPO, Nero’s city is on fire, and IMHO, u should, in this face-mask blog (except for Jim), call urself “it’s almost over” or
    “It’s end is inevitable” or some such pseudonym
    IMO.

Could u fast on that? As a friend, I wouldn’t want ur pseudonym to have no resemblance to reality
    (It’s all love brother – feel me?)

14. Ellie
    August 17th, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Glad you’re back, Paul!! : )

15. It's just the beginning
    August 17th, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Paul, my friend, I picked my name when I first found/joined Survivors right after the Brent docs went public in the summer of 2011–I chose my name because I knew “it was just the beginning” of things to come..I did NOT realize it would still be progressing 2+ years later.

Over the months and years, I’ve come to see my name as a reminder to myself that ALL OF THIS is just the beginning–our whole life is just a vapor. Not that things/actions/attitudes don’t matter in this life–they absolutely do!–but keeping that eternal perspective I’ve come to realize is important..very hard at times, but important.

16. Dennis Huff
    August 17th, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Mr. Paul K
    I hope all is well with you and your family.
    God Bless You
    Dennis

17. Paul K.
    August 18th, 2013 at 11:34 am

Thank you Ellie! Hope u are well. Concerned I
    did convey ur gratitude to Cliff and Connie and will get them your contact info (Dennis).

My friend – A – (not Achan!) – thanks for the Eternal Perspective – nothing wrong w adjusting the intent of a name due to changing circumstances IMPO – so that’s what I’ll think of seeing your name.

Pages: « 120 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] Show All